3 April 2013

I've Got a Pocket Full of....People?

I've got a pocket full of....people?
 
I was in class the other day and my lecturer mentioned something that stuck in my mind for the last few days. Our computers in the lab were being uncooperative (as I'm sure they do on purpose) and I.T was called in. My lecturer raised the idea of having a I.T person at every beckoning call, a 'pocket' I.T if you like. Wouldn't that be brilliant? Having a pocket computer guru at your disposal every moment of everyday! But wait-don't we already have that, we just call it a mobile phone instead. A knowledgeable source of expertise and professional advice at our fingertips is the result of a society heavily reliant on technology.
 
This made me question the need for professionals, aren't we all amateur professionals then? Can't we all access professional insight by a single click of a button or tap on a screen? This made me research and I found an interesting article.

Richard Branson, founder at the Virgin Group shares the irreplaceable value of his assistant, Helen as he states, 
'While gadgets like smartphones and tablets certainly do have a huge positive impact upon my working life, it is the people around me who really make the difference.'
His assistant Helen is a valued memory in his life, a companion who travels the world with him and proves to be adaptable and social in every situation. He likens it to having a second memory- rather then a phones memory. Helen can read his emotions, body language and offer valuable insight into his decision making processes. A phone simply can't compare.

In my own life I know people who believe that they can do everything via a phone. Their life is stored, shared and expressed online, through data and using technology. Juxtaposed to this way of life, Richard stands by his statement, 
 'I am a great believer in the art of delegation and in sharing the load to make everyone more productive.'
 Richard understands the need for people in order to be productive. I think in a way, he believes people who rely solely on technology are missing out. They are isolating themselves, although technology is a valuable tool, it shouldn't replace people. 
'Many people are using technology to make assistants a thing of the past. However, for those businesspersons in a position to do so, they may be missing a lot by going it alone.'
People offer important communication that a phone simply can't. If you are going to carry around anything, make it other people. Collaboration and sharing ideas can be scary, as the more you tell, the less valuable you may feel (E.g the more they know, the less power you obtain). However, I completely disagree. Isolation and withholding information to yourself creates a lonely world. The more people that input into an idea, process or initiative, the broader and less bias it becomes.

In saying this, I believe people are essential and collective thinking is an integral part of communication. Isolating yourself to rely on technology and not on the personal attributes of face-to -face human relationships puts you at a disadvantage. 

Sarah

(Please feel free to share your thoughts on this blog)








 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks

Thanks to my loyal followers and guests who have stopped by to take a look at my blog 'Success In Communication'. I hope you enjoy reading what I have to say and are getting some valuable tips and information to make your daily communication life enjoyable. Subscribe to my blog to be among the first to get my latest blog delivered to you personally

Become our Fan

Why become a subscriber of Success In Communication? Allow me. This blog is a rich knowledge base of information gathered from personal experience and professionals. This blog aims to provide you with practical understanding of social media and communication tips, tricks and articles! This invaluable source will breathe life into dull issues and present them to you free of charge :) Why not become a fan today and get instant notifications of new blog entries.